Research and development
ITECMA materials are developed by the Institute of New Carbon Materials and Technologies (INCMaT). The key competence of the Institute is the synthesis of polymers and developments in the field of carbon composite materials.
The co-founder of INCMaT is the Lomonosov Moscow State University.
The main directions of the Institute's work in the field of polymer composite materials are:
- Development of high-temperature polymer matrices: epoxy, bismaleimide and phthalonitrile;
- Development of new adhesives and fillers for three-layer panels;
- Development of structural adhesives for reinforcement systems of loaded structural systems;
- Development of materials for high-temperature vacuum infusion and RTM;
- Development of special resins for prepregs production, including non-autoclave ones;
- Development of special resins for production of fabrics for automated laying up.
One of the latest developments of INCMaT is the unique high-temperature phthalonitrile resin PN-3M for vacuum infusion and RTM. PN-3M products can be operated at temperatures up to 450 °C. A peculiarity of this resin is a low melting point (80 °C) with a pre-curing temperature of 180 °C, which allows achieving a high processability comparable to that of epoxy resins.
All materials under development pass a complex of tests, such as thermal analysis, physical and mechanical tests, climatic tests, etc.
Mathematical modeling takes a significant place in the understanding of the composites creating process. INCMaT constantly expands the field of process modeling and only some of them are indicated below:
- Processes of vacuum infusion and autoclave molding;
- Geometry of technological tooling and parts for compensation of warping processes;
- Temperature gradients arising during the process of polymerization of composite materials.
Advanced developments in carbon composites area
INCMaT develops in the following areas:
- Materials for composite 3D printing;
- Materials and structures based on discrete fibers;
- Composite materials with shape memory;
- Electroactive composite materials.
Composites with a shape memory is restored to a pre-programmed shape after heating to a certain temperature. Such materials will provide a possibility to transport parts from composites in - space, for example the parabolic antennas folded into the tube, that can be deployed on site.
Electroactive composites change their shape when applying an electric field. In prospect it will be possible to create control elements of vehicles (handle bars and mechanization of the aircraft wings, rudders of ships) without electric or mechanical drives from the electroactive composites.
Carbon materials development area
Alongside the developments in the composites area based on void-free and discrete carbon fibers, INCMaT develops and introduces the marked products in the following areas:
- Climatic panels made of exfoliated graphite;
- Fireproof coatings based on intercalated graphite.
More information about the Institute of New Carbon Materials and Technologies can be found at www.inumit.ru.